‘A DIFFERENT KIND OF SUMMER SCHOOL’
For those who aspire and achieve: a taste of university life in English-speaking countries
Our 2019 season is now successfully completed. Details of our 2020 programmes will be appearing here very soon! To register your interest now, please contact us via firstname.lastname@example.org.
KE programmes are novel, exciting and stimulating. They’re specially designed for students aged 15-17 who like to be challenged – intellectually and creatively. Based on the campuses of leading universities in the USA, the United Kingdom (England and Scotland) and Canada, the programmes introduce students to future study at those universities, at one of the other universities which they’ll visit, or in fact at university in general. Many are multi-centre, so they see different sides of the country visited.
(If you are a student, you can return to or check out our summary of the programmes here.)
Is your son or daughter, or maybe your student, planning to go to university?
This will be a huge investment – in terms both of time, and in most cases also of money. Make sure it’s the right investment! These are the questions which we think students should be asking themselves:
- Am I choosing the right subject, and am I preparing for it correctly?
- Which university would be right for me?
- Is it the right city for me to live in – or even the right country?
KE helps students to find answers to these questions by:
- Introducing them to a choice of subject area
- Taking them to see a selection of universities
- Showing life in the country and the cities visited
Is a KE programme suitable?
KE is definitely suitable for students who are looking for opportunities to:
- Think in new ways
- Challenge themselves
- Meet interesting new people with ideas and imagination
Students don’t have to be committed to university study in the country visited: maybe they would just like a more focused, more rewarding summer programme. But they do need to be serious about study, and they also need a reasonable level of English. The programmes are suitable for local or international students – for whom we suggest minmum levels of English equivalent to: min. 5.5 [IELTS]/80 [TOEFL iBT]/B2 [CEF]/FCE.
KE programmes run just for 2 or 3 weeks, but they are full of activity and action. Students will be joined by bright people from different parts of the world, and often from the local area as well. Many students find friendships which continue into their university careers.
We must be honest: if you’re looking for programmes in which much of the time is spent on games and shopping, these might not be the right choice. But if you’re looking for an experience which will really change perceptions and prepare for the future, please continue.
This really is ‘A DIFFERENT KIND OF SUMMER SCHOOL…’
- Offered in the UK (July), the USA (July), Canada (July-August)
- Most run for two weeks or three weeks during university vacations
- Generally multi-centre
Each programme has a number of different courses (one per week) and special features unique to KE.
In the UK and the USA, we ask you to choose between two ‘focuses’: the University focus includes work on university entrance in the country visited and presentations at a range of universities; the Discovery focus includes work on the film, music and art of the country visited, and city visits.
Details of our dates and fees for 2019 are available here.
Each programme includes different courses:
- 2-week programmes include two courses, each lasting one week
- 3-week programmes include three courses, each lasting one week
Each KE course has a major and a minor. The order in which the courses are taken may vary.
Logic or language– students choose one of these, depending on their interest and level of English:
Building confidence, speaking up!
Prepare for the future! – students choose one of these:
Practical leadership and teamwork
Specialist (academic) subject – students choose one of these:
Minor – There is a choice here depending on the ‘focus’ you chose (see above):
- University focus – Applying to university: three one-hour sessions to help students get a head start:
- Making the right application
- The personal statement or essay (followed by practice drafting a personal statement or essay)
- The interview (followed by two 1-1 interviews)
- Discovery focus – ‘Expression and impression’: film, music, art and pop culture in the country visited
Each major includes 16 hours of classroom tuition; each minor runs for 5 hours. The maximum class size is 15 (though most classes are smaller).
In addition to the courses just mentioned, each programme includes the following special features:
- Study visits – Students choosing the University focus visit various universities not too far from their study centre; students choosing the Discovery focus join the same trips, but visit places of general or cultural interest in the same city. Study visits are preceded by a seminar, and there is also some time set aside for general sightseeing.
- Student mentors – Guidance and support from a team of carefully chosen, lively and enthusiastic students from top universities.
- Tutorials – A weekly meeting in a small group in which students discuss their work and progress.
- News reviews – A look at the day’s news, with discussion.
- Special meals, with ‘dining & etiquette’ – A formal dinner, preceded by a seminar on dining and etiquette – plus an afternoon tea in the UK.
- Local sports and activities – A chance to take part in activities typical of the country visited, such as cricket, croquet, punting, baseball and (in St. Andrews) golf.
With KE, students have the opportunity to live and study on the campuses of some of the leading universities in the English-speaking world, including:
USA: University of Massachusetts and/or Santa Clara University. Visits to New York, Boston, San Francisco and Silicon Valley.
Canada: 11-day programme based in the university city of Kingston, Ontario with stays in Montreal and Toronto.
Our mission statement
‘Our mission is to provide ambitious young minds with the foundations for success in a global context. To this end, we offer life-changing experiences at centres of academic excellence across the English-speaking world, together with guidance on applying to top universities and on pursuing top careers.
Our philosophy is that success depends not just on the ability to memorise and prepare for examinations, but also on critical and independent thought, on commitment and passion, on creativity and imagination, on teamwork and debate.’
© 2019 KE Foundation
Kingdom Education Group (UK) Ltd/Kingdom Education Group LLC/Kingdom Education Canada Ltd are independent companies trading in any country in which they operate as ‘KE’/‘KE Foundation’ or (previously) ‘Kingdom Education’. They are all 100% owned by or affiliated with the Kingdom Education Foundation, a non-profit/not-for-profit organisation. None of these entities has any religious or political affiliations, or any links with any other organisation which may have a similar name.
We organise accommodation, meals and classrooms with various universities in the UK, the USA and Canada. But we arrange our own programmes, and these are completely independent of the host universities.