KE retains its family character, with six members involved in its operations (and all largely bilingual in spoken Mandarin and English). But it also employs other staff with backgrounds in education in the various countries in which it operates, most of them working on specific projects or seasonal programmes.
- Worked in investment banking for over 30 years in both the USA and Asia
- Has served as Commissioner of Social Services for Los Angeles
- Honorary Director of Nanhua University (Taiwan)
- Presides over Nanhua’s Board of International Education Development
- Strongly committed to opening up educational opportunities to young people
- Now promotes KE in China and Taiwan
SAMUEL YANG (SAM)
- Educated in the UK, with a BSc (Honours) in Finance from City University
- Member of the Institute of Chartered Financial Analysts; also taught on CFA programmes
- 15 years’ experience in investment banking (Morgan Stanley and Merrill Lynch – for whom he oversaw the Asia Pacific region)
- Also acted as representative for Kaplan in China and Taiwan
- Great sports enthusiast (especially rugby, cricket and golf)
- Established KE because of a desire to help young people make the most of their talents
- Enjoys public speaking, and has given talks to groups of KE students on pathways to success
- Oversees the marketing of KE, especially in Asia
- Educated largely in England; had a passion for sports, including rugby, cricket and swimming
- Was previously Managing Director of Asia Pacific Finance Group
- Co-founder of KE with brother, Sam
- Also owns and operates a successful consumer electronics accessories company
- Works on web-based marketing and with Sam on marketing in Asia
- Very enthusiastic about summer programmes; he has accompanied groups of students as a group leader
- Acts as Centre Manager at Santa Clara University and Queen’s University, Kingston during the summer season
- Has a degree in engineering, and has taught engineering for KE with excellent results
- Outside the summer season, works as a senior housemistress at a leading UK boarding school.
- Oversees safeguarding (child protection) at her year-round school, and for KE
- The mother of two teenage children; is very aware of the needs and aspirations of young people
- Set up KE’s comprehensive systems for safeguarding in the UK
- Trains our management staff in this area, and they in turn train the staff at their centres
- Staff and students at all our centres have her contact details, so she can be reached at any time
Centre Manager, Cambridge
- Has a first-class bachelor’s degree in geography, and a master’s in environmental and development issues
- Qualified teacher of English as a Foreign Language
- For a number of years, ran educational tours for teenagers in Africa
- Multilingual – in addition to working in French, Spanish and Portuguese, is a native speaker of Breton, and is currently learning Basque!
- Now spends much of the year teaching English in Spain, but returns to the UK every summer
- A very popular centre manager with staff and students alike
Administration Manager/UK Co-ordinator
- Educated in England, with a BSc in Accounting and Finance from the University of Bristol
- Holds an Associate’s Degree in Culinary Arts from California Culinary Academy, San Francisco
- Trained in university application procedures in the UK (UCAS)
- Has also advised students on university applications in the USA
- Liaises with the British universities to which we take students
- Very thorough and organised, but also enjoys the buzz of a summer centre
- Acts as Centre Manager in Durham during the summer season
- Delivers seminars on UCAS and dining and etiquette
- Went to high school in England
- Has a BSc in Business Management from the Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising (Los Angeles)
- Has held a range of senior accounting and management positions in Los Angeles
- Acts as bursar (financial controller) for KE
- Very thorough in her control of finances – but also keen to be involved with the day-to-day operation of our summer centres and to interact with students
- Acts as Centre Manager in UMass during the summer season
JACQUELINE YANG (JACQUE)
Marketing Executive/US Co-ordinator
- Went to high school in England
- Excelled at sports, especially rowing and field hockey, and continued to pursue her interest at university
- Has a BA in Business Administration from Loyola Marymount University in Los Angeles
- Currently studying part-time for an MA in TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages)
- Works on a number of specific marketing projects
- Passionate about every aspect of KE, and always keen to get involved
- Based at Santa Clara and Calgary during the summer season
Director of Studies, Cambridge
- Has spent much of her life either in the UK or in South Africa, but now spends most of the year in Italy
- Has a degree in Italian and English
- Worked for many years as a marketing manager, and has a particular interest in web-based marketing
- In Italy, works as a consultant specialising in language and marketing workshops, also helping people draft cvs and personal statements
- Has designed a number of the courses which we use in ‘Logic or language’
- A very enthusiastic teacher, with a particular interest in making learning lively and relevant
Director of Studies, Amherst
- Has a BA in English and an MA in American Studies from the University of Warsaw, and an MA in Comparative Literature from the University of Massachusetts, Amherst
- Currently working towards his PhD in Comparative Literature at UMass with a view to teaching at university level
- Has extensive experience teaching English as a Foreign Language to both children and adults
- Has been working with KE in Amherst since its first season there
- Has an interest in pedagogy, and enjoys helping teachers improve their classes
- Very organised and thorough in his approach
Our summer staff
Most of the staff who work for KE are just with us during the summer season – although a large number choose to come back every year. We take great care to ensure that all our staff bring with them a passion for education and the desire to make sure that our students have the best experience possible.
At each of our centres, we have a Centre Manager. The Centre Manager is in charge of the day-to-day running of the centre. Our Centre Managers come from many different backgrounds, but they are all chosen for their management skills and ability to lead both our staff and our students.
There is also the Director of Studies (DoS = ‘Doss’). As the name suggests, the DoS is in charge of the academic courses. This person may be a specialist in teaching English as a Foreign Language, or in one of the specialist subjects which we also offer.
Between them, the Centre Manager and the DoS run the accommodation which we provide, and oversee our students’ welfare at their centre.
We also employ a Welfare Officer, who is not based at any one centre, but who can be contacted at any time with any concerns about ’safeguarding’ – basically, student welfare.
Like the DoS, our teachers may have a background in language teaching or in the teaching of a specialist academic subject. They may be associated with the university at which the courses are held.
The other people employed on our programmes are our student mentors. These are young people who are currently studying, or who have recently been studying, at the universities where we run our programmes. Their role is to encourage our students to take an active part in activities and study visits; they also assist with general supervision. Since many of them will be working as teachers in the near future, we ask our student mentors to assist with the news reviews and the weekly tutorials.